- Even though I’ve stocked up on lots of items this month (and have blown the grocery budget), I’m still concentrating on using up items on hand. I’ve got a ways to go on using up all that chocolate, but I made magic layer bars, chocolate pecan scones and ganache for the Easter cream puffs using goodies from this tin rather than buying something special. I also used a lemon cake mix that had been in the cupboard for a while to make a lime soaked citrus cake. I should have added some baking powder, but it still tasted good. And had the added advantage of also using up a container of limeade concentrate and some leftover frosting that had been in the fridge for a LONG time.
***All these desserts were made over the course of a whole month. Even my sweet tooth is not that intense!
2. I picked up a tub drain cover at Target after pulling an unseemly amount of hair and other debris from the shower drain. So gross. Hopefully this will keep us from having to call a plumber out or do any expensive DIY work.
3. I chopped up leftover Easter ham to use in a ham, potato and bean soup for dinner tonight. This also makes use of some white beans I have in the pantry, bought quite a while ago at the local Mormon canning center. I’ll also use the ham to make egg cups for breakfasts/snacks this week, ham fried rice, and chop up the remainder to freeze in 1 cup portions.
4. Frugal splurge: I used a $10 Balance Reward that had accumulated at Walgreens to get three 12 packs of Diet Dr. Pepper for only $2 OOP. An end-of-semester lifesaver. Which is what I’m also calling the package of cherry licorice that jumped into the cart at the same time…
5. I finally took Nathalie’s advice and rooted the green onions I buy at Aldi. I planted them in the same planter that has the cilantro (currently looking great!). Hopefully they will thrive and my need to buy green onions is more or less over!