- This semester has been rough. It has the biggest course load of the whole program and I further lucked out by having most of my presentations and group work clustered over a ten day period. Y’all. I am exhausted.
- Because I let myself get so overwhelmed with school work and didn’t do great at planning ahead, my exhaustion led to illness. I am finally taking baby steps out of the worst spring cold I’ve ever had. I finally went to the doctor yesterday and she has me on steroids and a powerful antihistamine.
- I’ve never taken steroids before; it’s crazy how pumped up they make me feel. I started them yesterday evening and after having no energy for several days, I was up at 11PM working on kitchen projects and trying to convince my husband to start a project with me (he wanted to go to bed 🙂 ). Of course, this afternoon the steroid is wearing off and I just want to lay down.
- Our grocery budget is out the window this month. Michael made several grocery trips for “sick food” while I was out of it and I had already made big trips to BJs and then Aldi to stock up on some things we actually ran out of during the pantry challenge. And then today Winn-Dixie had bacon on sale and I’ve been wanting to stock up on that ever since we ran out of it a couple of months ago. Basically I’m trying to restore what we ate out of our pantry.
- Also, getting sick and run down really has me evaluating how well I’m doing at self-care (not well at all!) and thinking of ways to improve. As ever I turn to diet first and I’ve been kicking around the idea of doing some kind of reset, perhaps a Whole30. I’ve been resistant because the rules seem arbitrary to me. But all elimination diets are somewhat arbitrary and I just need to get over my innate desire to point out all the ways the rules (any rules) are wrong. I don’t think it’ll happen until sometime in the summer, but I want to try out a few recipes to have a decent arsenal before truly committing. The biggest mental hurdle is the idea of giving up my coffee w/cream.
- If I feel up to it, I’m planning on making a ham for Easter Sunday, with whipped sweet potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts, rolls and some kind of dessert. Possibly homemade doughnuts because doesn’t that sound wonderful?!
- Except I can’t really taste anything! Today I’ve had a 50/50 chance of tasting any part of what I’ve eaten, which is a marked improvement over the last several days. I’d hate to waste the effort on doughnuts if I can’t really enjoy them!
What have you been up to? I am way behind on my blog reading. I actually opened up feedly yesterday and then closed it because I have hundreds of unread posts to read on all the blogs I follow. Ack! I may just have to start where I am!