What We Spent
I’ve spent a total of $158.72 on groceries so far this month!! I am trying to keep a $200/month grocery budget, so I am looking at a couple of lean weeks coming up. However, I really truly shouldn’t need to purchase anything except maybe milk, eggs and a little fruit. Actually, I’m just going to plan on NOT purchasing anything but those items for the rest of the month. I have plenty of food on hand, even if we do end up eating canned or frozen veggies primarily.
Anyway, I loaded up on a lot of produce on the first of the month, and then today did a bit of a stock up trip at BJs. We have plenty of other kinds of meat in the freezer, but I really, really wanted some chicken breasts, so picked up a family pack of those, as well as some other staples. Some of those items will run into next month, too. I also ran into Publix right before the Super Bowl for some party supplies. I ended up hitting Aldi a second time because we were out of bread and fresh fruit.
I spent $20.45 at Lucky’s Market, and took advantage of great prices on tofu, eggplant, and organic kale, among other things.
Then I spent $26.31 at Aldi on more produce as well as quite a bit of dairy products. And snacks. I was craving some salty snacks.
On Sunday I ran into Publix to grab some supplies for the Super Bowl Party and also take advantage of some sales. I spent more than I intended because I did not plan well; my total was $32.48.
Today at BJs I wanted to grab chicken breasts, but I also took advantage of a coupon on organic salad greens, replenished our supply of dried plums, finally got the feta and Parmesan that I prefer and grabbed a few other things as well. Namely coffee. We didn’t love the other brand I bought and coffee is something I want to love. I spent $57.73 in total there.
And finally, I headed back into Aldi for bread products and fruit, mostly. I also grabbed a jar of the elusive crunchy peanut butter. I spent $21.75.
What We Ate
This week in meals has been a good one. I have, of course, already deviated from my list a bit.
- Wednesday the 1st we had black beans, rice and guacamole using some of the avocados I stocked up on.
- Thursday the 2nd Michael ate leftovers and I ate snacks at school (that I had packed/prepared at home, though!).
- Friday the 3rd we picked up sandwiches from Publix for lunch/dinner after our very long morning at the hospital.
- Saturday we had Sweet and Sour Tofu.
- Sunday we were at a friend’s Super Bowl party. I made these slow cooker chicken wings (best wings recipe I’ve ever made, actually!) and these pretzel bites. Both were a hit, which made me feel good.
- Monday we had leftovers from the party that the host sent home with us.
- Tuesday I made a buffalo chicken pizza, using up the leftover buffalo dipping sauce, a package of shredded chicken from the freezer and a package of mozzarella from the freezer.
- Wednesday We had leftovers.
- Thursday I made a quiche using bacon from the freezer (I thought I had several packages of ham…but I couldn’t find any…), peppers and cheddar cheese. I also bought a bagel w/cream cheese for a snack at school.
- Friday I met some friends for a late breakfast early lunch out. Tonight we are having fusilli with cauliflower, tomato sauce and olives.
What Went to Waste
- An old, dried up lemon. I totally overlooked this in my fruit bowl.
- Also last week I cleaned out the fridge and had to toss several items, but I lost my list.