Last week I had plans to make a number of things and am now checking to see how accurate my predictions were. I did make the following, though not exactly as specified, maybe…
- Mushroom, Spinach & Sun-dried Tomato Risotto — Really easy and tasty — I used the “quick” risotto recipe from my BH&G cookbook and that worked out quite well. (planned)
- Potato Soup — Instead of the loaded baked potato soup, I made a classic pureed potato soup using the recipe from the Joy of Cooking. It was a pretty big batch of soup, so we ate this for several meals with various sides. (planned–ish)
- Veggie Burgers & Salad — I had plans to meet up with a girlfriend and make up a big batch of the veggie burgers from Homemade Pantry. I also was planning on cooking a different meal that evening, but we both ended up with so many veggie burgers and the process took a while (not the cooking, there were other random emergencies that happened while we were working that made the process go on) so it seemed kind of silly to freeze up all of the freshly made food just because I could.
- We got takeout pizza one night and had planned a trip to Rosy’s (local Mexican restaurant) that I did not list on the plan last week. The takeout was not planned but was really nice after a long day at work for me. It’s funny how exhausted I get from working full days now that a 40 hour work week is not part of my regular schedule.
- I made French Toast instead of Egg Casserole; we had it for breakfast instead of dinner.
For this upcoming week, I am going to be cooking almost completely from the pantry and/or whatever fresh food I have on hand as I do not want to do any shopping except for half & half and bananas. I have zucchini, cauliflower and bell peppers that need to be used, as well as a number of eggs on hand that I’d like to make use of. We also still have plenty of sweet potatoes, russet potatoes and onions (always) on hand. I picked up a large package of romaine lettuce at BJs last week so we will eat salads for lunch most days.
- Moroccan Chickpeas & Zucchini, Rice (Appetite for Reduction)
- Chicken Lightly Seasoned, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Cauliflower w/Polonaise Topping (Moosewood Restaurant New Classics)
- Baked Macaroni & Cheese, Bitter Greens with Sweet Onions and Raisins (Vegetable Heaven)
- Zucchini Pie, Carrot Slaw
- Fish & Veggies en Papillote, Rice (Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home)
I also want to make or prepare the following for snacking or lunches:
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Granola bars (Good & Cheap)
- Crumb Cake (Better Homes & Garden Cookbook)
- Coconut Banana Bread
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Baked & Sliced Chicken (for salads)
- Carrot Sticks